Kali wants to dance - Book review



 


By Aparna Karthikeyan & Somesh Kumar 

   

First of all, Happy International Dance Day!  I know, yes many people would dance and, yes I did try but let's just say it was not so good, so since I couldn’t dance, I thought to write a book review on dance and hey! I get to celebrate without dancing!


My first reaction to the cover page was bharatnatyam because there was a boy doing bharatnatyam.


I got the book from storyweaver.org.in. Storyweaver is a website where you can read 1000+ stories in 100+ languages. These stories are nice and small. Usually storyweaver stories don't go longer than 50 pages. 


In this book, Kali sees people do bharatanatyam and tries it. He does very well. Slowly, the small fishing village of Kovalam starts to notice. His mother asks him to join a dance school. However, his maama and friends say bad stuff and bully him for wanting to become a dancer.Will he become a world famous dancer or will he herd the sheep and do fishing in his village? Read the book to find out!



The main character is Kali. Kali likes acting, collecting, biotech and dancing. He lost his father very young and it was his mother who got him into dancing. 


The moral of the story is that anyone can do anything. Not only girls can become dancers. Not only boys can compete in events. Girls should not only cook and manage babies. Everyone is equal and has equal right to do everything and if you try, you can do something that you thought was only for one gender like in Kali’s case.




If I would change anything in the book it would be that the friends don't bully him due to the reasons stated above.


The age group(in my opinion) is 10-15yrs, I am 11yrs old and I liked this book.


On a scale of 1 to 10 with 10 being highest and 1 being lowest. i would rate it 10/10(story idea 2/2, Illustration 3/3, ETU(easy to understand)1/1, Detail 2/2 and Relevancy 1/1).





Comments

  1. Generally boys have no interest in dance . Good you evinced keen interest in this art form and reviewed a book . Well done Arnav. I would love to see you write and publish your own book soon

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Should homework be banned?

School trek to Karadi Kallu Betta

E-daycare - my business idea