Happy birthday Rabindranath Tagore

 


Last year my school said to dress up as someone great. I did not know who to dress up as. Then I dressed up as Rabindranath Tagore. That time I did not know who he was but I learnt a lot about him.


Since today is his birthday let me tell you what I learnt.





Rabindranath Tagore was born on 7th May 1865. He Has composed the National Anthem of India and Bangladesh. He  was the first non-european to win a Nobel prize in literature and the 2nd non-european to win any Nobel prize.


Despite his greatness, he had a sad childhood. His mother died early into his life and he was mostly raised by servants and was 1 of 13 surviving children.


He has written many poems and many stories although I have not read all of them. I am sure they are interesting.


One book I really love by him is Kabuliwala. It is a book about a little girl who is very friendly with a Kabuliwala. She thinks inside his sack are kidnapped children but then understands that he is nice. 





I think every child should read his books because this is what shaped up modern books. 


Here is my favorite poem from him:



Where the mind is without fear..


Where the mind is without fear and the head is held high;


Where knowledge is free;


Where the world has not been broken up into fragments


By narrow domestic walls;


Where words come out from the depth of truth;


Where tireless striving stretches its arms towards perfection;


Where the clear stream of reason has not lost its way


Into the dreary desert sand of dead habit;


Where the mind is led forward by thee


Into ever-widening thought and action—


Into that heaven of freedom, my Father, let my country awake.


 

Comments

  1. Good write up Arnav. You should visit Vivekananda Rock at Kanyakumari sometime. It is his memorial. He meditated on a rock in the sea long time ago. Very good place

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Should homework be banned?

School trek to Karadi Kallu Betta

E-daycare - my business idea